Make this Little Debbie Christmas Tree Recipe and skip the store bought cakes. Easy steps to make a fun and festive Little Debbie treat.
Get my Christmas Cookbook Bundle 75%
Copycat Little Debbie Christmas Tree Recipe:
This Christmas Tree Cakes are a holiday tradition that we always grab at the store during the holidays. This copycat tree shaped Little Debbie snack cakes recipe is easy to make when you start with a cake mix.
You no longer have to run to the store when you can make homemade Little Debbie Christmas tree with simple ingredients. This classic recipe is always a family favorite and we have even made Christmas Tree Cakes Dip.
What are Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes?
Little Debbie makes delicious treats throughout the year. Once the holidays hit, the stores are stocked with these Christmas Tree Cakes. It is a layered cake filled with a cream filling and decorated with white icing and red and green decoration.
These Little Debbie treats really puts you in the holiday spirit. But with this easy copycat recipe, you can enjoy them throughout the year.
For the Cake:
- White Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Powdered Sugar
For the Filling:
- Powdered Sugar
- Marshmallow Cream
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Clear Vanilla Extract
For the Decorations:
- White Almond Bark
- Green Sanding Sugar
- Pre-made Red Cookie Icing
How to Make the Christmas Tree Cake:
- Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line to half-sheet pans with parchment paper and spray the paper with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs for 5-6 minutes until they are thick and a light pale color.
- Step 3 – Then add in the cake mix, powdered sugar, water and oil. Mix on low speed for 1-2 minutes (scraping the sides of the bowl) until combined.
- Step 4 – Then place half of the batter into each pan and spread it out evenly. Gently tap the pans on the countertop to remove any bubbles from the batter.
- Step 5 – Bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely at room temperature.
How to Make Christmas Tree Filling:
- Step 1 – Place all the filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix with a hand held or stand up mixer until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes).
- Step 2 – Carefully remove both of the cakes from the sheet pans.
- Step 3 – Place one of the sheet cakes on a working surface and gently spread the filling out on top of the cake. Then place the 2nd sheet pan cake on top.
- Step 4 – Try to have the cake with the smoothest top on the top of the 2 cakes. Use a thick tree cookie cutter to cut out the individual tree cakes.
- Step 5 – Then place them in the freezer for at least 2 hours (or more) until they are firm.
How to Decorate Christmas Tree Cakes:
- Step 1 – Place the almond bark in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each interval, until the almond bark is melted and smooth.
- Step 2 – Then stir in the shortening. Dip each of the frozen tree cakes in the almond bark mixture. Making sure that the cakes are completely covered in the almond bake mixture.
- Step 3 – Use 2 forks to carefully remove the trees and place them a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to set. Immediately sprinkle the green sanding sugar over each cake before the almond bark dries.
- Step 4 – Continue this process until all the trees are coated and topped with sprinkles.
- Step 5 – Once the trees are completely dry, use the red icing to drizzle red stripes over each cake. Allow for this icing to dry as well at room temperature.
- Step 6 – Then the cakes are ready to serve and enjoy.
Do you Chill the Cake before Decorating?
Yes, you will need to freeze the cake layers for at least 2 hours. This allows for the cake to firm up to prepare to cut into Christmas Trees.
How Long do Christmas Tree Cake last:
This Christmas Tree Cake will last about 5 days if they are store properly.
How to Store:
Store any leftover cakes at room temperature in an airtight container or bag for up to 5 days. If you live in a humid area, store in the refrigerator to keep the almond bark from melting.
Christmas Tree Cakes Tips:
- Combining Cake Ingredients – We recommend using a hand mixer to combine the ingredients on medium speed.
- Cake Mix – We used a white cake mix, but you can use a yellow cake mix.
- Sprinkles – Feel free to use other sprinkles, but we love the festive look of the green sprinkles and red icing.
Print Recipe for Little Debbie Christmas Tree:
Little Debbie Christmas Trees
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 6 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup Marshmallow Cream
- 2-4 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
FOR THE DECORATIONS:
- 24 oz White Almond Bark
- 2 Tbsp Shortening
- Green Sanding Sugar
- 1 pouch Pre-made Red Cookie Icing
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line to half-sheet pans with parchment paper and spray the paper with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs for 5-6 minutes until they are thick and a light pale color. Then add in the cake mix, powdered sugar, water and oil. Mix on low speed for 1-2 minutes (scraping the sides of the bowl) until combined.
- Then place half of the batter into each pan and spread it out evenly. Gently tap the pans on the countertop to remove any bubbles from the batter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely at room temperature.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe