The Grinch Cupcakes make the perfect holiday dessert. The red velvet cupcakes are topped with an easy green frosting and a red heart sprinkle.
Get my Christmas Cookbook Bundle 75%
We love making Grinch desserts during the Christmas Season. Everyone always loves them and these cupcakes are so easy to make. The red velvet cupcakes are prepared easily with a cake mix and then topped with a simple green frosting.
Adding the red heart sprinkle gives these cupcakes that extra decoration to complete these fun and festive Christmas Desserts.
Whether you are putting up your Christmas tree or watching How the Grinch stole Christmas movie, these cupcakes are sure to put you in the holiday mood.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe:
If you are looking for a fun and festive dessert to celebrate the holidays with, these Grinch Cupcakes are always on my list. They are easy to make and you can use any type of cake mix.
This cupcake is perfect to make for your kids class party or even for your holiday dinner. The green frosting is easily made with simple ingredients. Make sure to add a red heart or red sprinkles for a fun and festive treat.
- Red Velvet Cake Mix
- Butter, softened at room temperature
- Solid Vegetable Shortening
- Clear Vanilla Extract
- Confectioners’ Sugar sifted
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Red Heart Sprinkles
Scroll to the bottom to see the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and recipe.
- Cake Mix – Feel free to use different types of cake mix to make this recipe.
- Frosting – You can also use cream cheese frosting or store bought frosting.
How to Make Grinch Cupcakes:
- Step 1 – Prepare Red Velvet Cupcakes – Prepare the red velvet cake mix based on the cupcake instructions using the red cupcake liners. Use a cooking scoop to put about ½ cup of batter into each liner. Bake at preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- Step 2 – Cool Completely – Allow the cupcakes to cool completely at room temperature in the muffin tins. The cupcakes will be light and fluffy.
- Step 3 – Cream together shortening and butter – In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth.
- Step 4 – Mix in Powdered sugar – Then (1 cup at a time) slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar on low speed until well combined. Make sure butter and sugar are completely mixed together.
- Step 5 – Stir in Vanilla and Milk – Next stir in the vanilla extract and milk until combined. Then add a few drops of the green food coloring until the frosting is a bright green color,
- Step 6 – Add frosting to piping bag – Then use a 1M piping tip and a decorator’s bag, fill it with the green frosting.
- Step 7 – Frosting Cupcake – Gently frosting each cupcake. You want to slowly build up the frosting on top of the cupcake using a circular motion fill up to a tip. Place on wire rack after decorating.
- Step 8 – Add heart – Finally place a heart on the side of each of the icing.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – The grinch cupcakes are ready to serve and enjoy.
- Cookie Scoop – Save time and use a cookie scoop to scoop cupcake batter in the holders. I have a set of stainless steel cookie scoops that I love and they make baking so much easier. You can order a set here.
- Mixer – You certainly can use a hand mixer but we love our stand mixer with the paddle attachment. It gets a ton of use and to this day is such a good investment. We bake a lot so it is so handy and we love our mixer.
- Cool Cakes – Make sure the cupcakes are really cool before icing. I use a set of these baking racks and they are great.
- Cupcakes Done – Cupcakes takes about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted to finish cooking.
What is the Secret to Moist Cupcakes?
To keep you cupcakes moist, do not overmix the batter. We recommend mixing the cupcake batter until the ingredients are combined.
When mixing the cupcake mix it is all about creating air bubbles. If you mix to much then the air bubbles collapse.
How to Decorate:
These Grinch Cupcakes are so fun to decorate. We always like to make sure to make the frosting a bright green color. Once the green icing is prepared, then place it in a piping bag.
Then with a 1M tip on the bag begin swirling the frosting in a upward motion to make a tip. Then add on a red heart sprinkle.
If you can’t find a red heart sprinkle, you can easily use a red M&M or add red sprinkles.
How to Store:
We recommend storing Grinch Cupcakes in an air tight container at room temperature. The cupcakes will last about a week if stored properly.
Can you Freeze these Cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze the cupcakes. Because we bake a lot during the holidays, we like to plan ahead and make the desserts we can. You will only freeze the cupcakes, not the frosted ones.
Once the cupcakes have cooled to room temperature, wrap them in plastic wrap and foil. The double layering of the cupcakes allows them to stay fresh.
Once you are ready to serve, thaw the cupcakes in the refrigerator overnight. We recommend not frosting if you are going to freeze the cupcakes. Once the cupcakes have thawed, then you can frost.
More Grinch Desserts:
- Grinch Truffles Recipe
- Grinch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Easy Grinch Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Grinch Punch Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make these Grinch Cupcakes, please leave us a comment or a star review.
- 1/2 cup Butter softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Confectioners’ Sugar sifted
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Red Heart Sprinkles
- Prepare the red velvet cake mix based on the cupcake instructions using the red cupcake liners.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth.
- Then (1 cup at a time) slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar on low speed until well combined.
- Next stir in the vanilla extract and milk until combined. Then add a few drops of the green food coloring until the frosting is a bright green color,
- Then use a 1M piping tip and a decorator’s bag, fill it with the green frosting.
- Gently frosting each cupcake. You want to slowly build up the frosting on top of the cupcake using a circular motion fill up to a tip
- Finally place a heart on the side of each of the icing.
- The grinch cupcakes are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe