Christmas Coffee cake is the perfect breakfast to make Christmas Morning. The cinnamon streusel topping make this cake so flavorful.
Easy Christmas Coffee Cake Recipe:
If you love making a special breakfast on Christmas morning, make this coffee cake. The warm spices mixed with the made from scratch cake batter makes this coffee cake a family favorite.
There is nothing better than waking up on Christmas with the sweet smells of cinnamon throughout your home. The crumb topping and the soft cake makes this coffee cake so delicious.
We love that this coffee cake requires simple ingredients. It is perfect served as breakfast or as a holiday brunch. Serve with some orange juice and a side of fruit for a delicious and filling breakfast.
What Makes Coffee Cake different from a Cake?
Coffee cakes have less crumb topping and the cake tends to be more moist. Crumb cakes have more topping and the cake texture is more crunchy.
Both types of cake are very similar and delicious. Coffee cake can also be served with a glaze. A cake is usually served with frosting.
For the Cake:
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar
- Butter (softened)
- Large Eggs
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
For the Topping:
- Pecans (finely chopped)
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Butter (melted)
- Ground Cinnamon
How to Make Christmas Coffee Cake:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – Mix Topping – Mix together the topping ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Step 3 – Combine butter and sugar – In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cup sugar. Combine with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Step 4 – Mix in Sour Cream – Then add in the sour cream, vanilla extract and mix until combined and smooth.
- Step 5 – Add Dry Ingredients – Then hand stir in the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until just combined. Be careful to not over mix.
- Step 6 – Pour Batter – Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with half of the topping mixture.
- Step 7 – Layer Batter – Then pour the remaining batter into the pan. Top with the remaining topping mixture.
- Step 8 – Bake Coffee Cake – Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top of the cake is golden brown. Toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the cake from the oven. Allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes. Then it’s ready to serve and enjoy.
Christmas Morning Coffee Cake Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Pan – Prepare baking pan by spraying with cooking spray. This helps to easily serve the cake and for easy cleanup. You can also line baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combining Ingredients – For best results, we recommend combining ingredients with a stand mixer or a hand held mixer. Hand mix in the dry ingredients and combine. Do not overmix ingredients.
- Bake Cake – After laying the batter and the crumble topping in the baking dish, bake the cake. You will know when the cake is done when the top is golden brown. Cook for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cover Top – If the top is getting to done. But the cake is still not done, you can cover the top with aluminum foil.
- Coffee Cake Batter – There is no yeast used in this recipe. This recipe is for a cake texture instead of a dough.
- Room Temperature – When making this recipe we recommend using room temperature ingredients.
- Nuts – We love adding nuts to the top of the cake. But you can also make it without it. You can also substitute the pecans with chopped walnuts or slice almonds.
- Almond Extract – For a deeper flavor, substitute the vanilla extract for almond extract.
- Glaze – Feel free to make a glaze to drizzle over the cake. It would still be delicious with the crumble topping.
- Powdered Sugar – Feel free to sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of the coffee cake before serving.
Can you Freeze Coffee Cake?
This Christmas Coffee Cake is great to double the recipe so you can freeze. I like to bake in a freezer safe container. Then once it has cooled, I wrap in plastic wrap and foil and place in the freezer.
If stored properly, the coffee cake will last about 3 months.
How to Store Leftovers:
Notes: Refrigerate the leftovers, covered, for up to 1 week.
Print Recipe for Christmas Coffee Cake:
Christmas Coffee Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups Pecans finely choppedm
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Then add in the sour cream, vanilla extract and mix until combined and smooth.
- Then hand stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until just combined. Be careful to not over mix.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with half of the topping mixture.
- Then pour the remaining batter into the pan and top with the remaining topping mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top of the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes. Then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe