Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes is a creamy, cheesy side dish that is made perfectly in the pressure cooker. Delicious side dish for your Christmas dinner.
Get my Christmas Cookbook Bundle 75%
Easy Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes:
Scalloped potatoes is a classic side dish that we serve every Christmas. This Instant Pot Recipe makes even easier to get our favorite side dish on the table. It cooks in half the time and the results are a cheesy, creamy side dish.
Christmas time is always the perfect time to make our favorite foods. We love easy side dishes and that is why we always make these scalloped potatoes. It is made with simple ingredients and is so flavorful. You might also like Lighthouse Inn Potatoes.
Make this delicious and easy side dish in your instant pot to cook the potatoes and combine the sauce. Impress your guest with the delicious scalloped potatoes and our Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole to serve with your holiday dinner.
See more 55 Best Instant Pot Christmas Recipes.
Best Potatoes for Scalloped Potatoes:
When making scalloped potatoes you want to choose a potato that has a lot of starch. We recommend using a Russet potato or a Yukon Gold potato.
These potatoes cook up great and help to create a thicker sauce.
- Russet Potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/4” thick slices
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Minced Garlic
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese shredded
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes in the Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Add ingredients to Instant Pot – Add the chicken broth, minced garlic, salt and pepper to a 6 quart Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Step 2 – Add in Slice Potatoes – Then add in the sliced potatoes. Seal and cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and then do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after the cook time.
- Step 3 – Heat Oven – Meanwhile, Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 4 – Place potatoes in baking dish – Carefully remove the sliced potatoes from the Instant Pot into an oven safe baking dish. Leave the rest of the liquid in the instant pot.
- Step 5 – Sauté Cream Mixture – Then switch the instant pot to the sauté setting and whisk in the cream. Let the cream mixture simmer in the instant pot for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 6 – Stir in Cheese – Turn the instant pot off and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Step 7 – Pour Sauce over potatoes – Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes in the baking dish. Gently toss the potatoes to cover it with the cheese sauce.
- Step 8 – Top with Cheese – Then top with the remaining cheddar cheese and the shredded Parmesan Cheese.
- Step 9 – Bake Potatoes – Bake for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are warm and tender (check every 5 minutes or so).
- Step 10 – Broil Potatoes – Broil the top of the potatoes for 1-2 minutes to brown the top of the potatoes.
- Step 11 – Serve & Enjoy – Let the potatoes sit for 10-15 minutes and then they are ready to serve.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer. We used minced garlic in this recipe, but you can use garlic powder. Add some extra spice by adding in a teaspoon or two of red pepper flakes.
- Meat – You can easily make these scalloped potatoes a one pot meal. Simply add in diced ham or bacon to the mixture. You can use leftover chicken or sausage to make a completely different meal.
- Add in Sweet Potatoes – To change the flavor, add in some slice sweet potatoes.
- Change the Cheese – This recipe is great with different cheeses mixed in. Mix in mozzarella cheese or Monterrey Jack to change the taste and flavor of your scalloped potatoes.
- Broth – We used chicken broth in this recipe, but you can easily use vegetable broth.
- Topping – If you prefer, you can add a bread crumb topping to your scalloped potatoes.
- Preparing Potatoes – We recommend to cut the potatoes about the same size so they cook evenly. Thinly slice potatoes cook perfect in the instant pot.
- Cheese – We recommend shredding cheese from hunk cheese. Pre-shredded cheese has added ingredients that causes it to not melt as well. Shredding cheese yourself taste better.
- Adding Ingredients – Add the ingredients to the pressure cook and mix well before adding in the potatoes.
- Broil Potatoes – For a brown top on the scalloped potatoes, we recommend broiling the potatoes for about 2 minutes.
- Double the Batch – This recipe is great to double to freeze. Simply double the ingredients and prepare as indicated.
- Creamy Sauce – To make the sauce extra creamy, allow the scalloped potatoes to rest after baking.
- Slow Cooker – Scalloped potatoes can be prepared in the slow cooker. You can allow the potatoes to cook as a one pot dish.
- Serving – These cheesy potatoes are not only perfect for your holiday dinner but are even delicious with breakfast foods. This is my favorite way to use up the leftovers.
Can I prepare ahead of time?
These scalloped potatoes can be prepared the day before. Simply prepare the potatoes as indicated in the recipe card, up until broiling them. Cover the potatoes and place in the refrigerator.
The next day, right before serving them place back in the oven. Heat the scalloped potatoes for about 15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees. Then you can broil them for a few minutes.
Preparing ahead of time will save you time to prepare all the other dishes for your holiday meal.
What size of Instant Pot do I use?
To make this recipe, we used a 6 quart instant pot. It would great, but if doubling the recipe you may need to use a 8 quart instant pot.
How to Store:
Scalloped potatoes make the best leftover. We always have a lot of leftovers after our Christmas dinner. Store the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
When ready to serve again, you can easily heat in the microwave for a delicious side dish.
Can you Freeze Scalloped Potatoes:
Freezing Scalloped Potatoes is a great way to enjoy scalloped potatoes even when it isn’t the holidays. That is why I love to double the recipe to enjoy another time.
- Prepare scalloped potatoes as indicates and then cool to room temperature.
- Store the leftovers in an air tight container and wrap with plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- When ready to serve again, allow the scalloped potatoes to thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Then reheat in the microwave or the Oven. If reheating in the oven, place in a baking dish and place in the preheated oven at 350 degrees. Heat scalloped potatoes for about 15 minutes.
Easy Holiday Side Dish:
Scalloped potatoes are always the perfect holiday side dish. They are easy to make and the ingredients are simple. Making the sauce and the potatoes in the instant pot saves me so much time.
Once the potatoes are prepared, the ingredients are layered and baked to perfection. The potatoes are soft and baked in a creamy, cheesy sauce that is always a crowd favorite.
This dish is a must for the holidays, but we also enjoy it throughout the year. You can prepare it with your grilled meats or fried chicken. You can also add in leftover meat for a busy weeknight meal.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes:
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 pounds Russet Potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/4” thick slices
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Add the chicken broth, minced garlic, salt and pepper to a 6 quart Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Then add in the sliced potatoes. Seal and cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and then do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after the cook time.
- Meanwhile, Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully remove the sliced potatoes from the Instant Pot into an oven safe baking dish. Leave the rest of the liquid in the instant pot.
- Then switch the instant pot to the sauté setting and whisk in the cream. Let the cream mixture simmer in the instant pot for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the instant pot off and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes in the baking dish. Gently toss the potatoes to cover it with the cheese sauce.
- Then top with the remaining cheddar cheese and the shredded Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are warm and tender (check every 5 minutes or so).
- Broil the top of the potatoes for 1-2 minutes to brown the top of the potatoes.
- Let the potatoes sit for 10-15 minutes and then they are ready to serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Christmas Side Dishes:
- Instant Pot Green Beans and Bacon Recipe
- Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Green Bean Casserole Recipe