Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole is a staple side dish we serve for Christmas dinner. It is loaded with flavor and made with simple ingredients.
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
Green bean casserole is a staple holiday side dish. Making this classic recipe in the instant pot makes it quick and easy. It allows me to save oven space for other recipes. It only takes less than 15 minutes to make it in the pressure cooker.
The green beans are cooked for a few minutes and then mixed with sauce ingredients to thicken. The green beans is then topped with the French Fried Onions and served.
Impress your family this holiday and make their favorite side in the instant pot. You now longer need to bake this classic dish in a baking dish, let the instant pot do all the work. Save time and oven space with this easy instant pot recipe.
- Frozen Green Beans or fresh (trimmed)
- Water (or broth)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup 10 oz each
- French Fried Onions 6 oz
How to Make Green Bean Casserole in the Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Add green beans to Instant Pot – Place the water in the bottom of a 6 quart instant pot. Then add the fresh green beans.
- Step 2 – Cook Green Beans – Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. After the cooking time, do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot.
- Step 3 – Mix Creamy Ingredients – In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper.
- Step 4 – Sauté Ingredients – After the green beans have cooked, switch the instant pot to the sauté setting with the lid off.
- Step 5 – Add the broth and the green beans – Stir in the cream of mushroom mixture. Heat on the sauté setting for 3-4 minutes to heat the mixture through and combine the ingredients.
- Step 6 – Add in French Fried Onions – Then stir in half of the French fried onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Step 7 – Thicken Sauce – Turn the instant pot off and let the mixture sit for 3-5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Step 8 – Top Casserole – Finally, top the casserole with the remaining French fried onion right before serving.
- Step 9 – Serve – Enjoy!
Tips for Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole:
- Crispy Topping – If you prefer to have that tradition crispy French Fried Onion topping, then you can bake. Pour the ingredients in a baking dish and bake for about 3 to 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serving – You can easily serve this side in the instant pot, but I like to pour into a casserole dish, then top with the French Fried Onions. Every one will be impressed that it hasn’t been baking for 30 minutes.
- Slow Cooker – Green Bean Casserole can also be made in the slow cooker. This is a great option to keep the casserole warm.
- Thicken Mixture – Allow the sauce mixture to thicken while in the instant pot before serving.
- Cream Soup – We used cream of mushroom soup in this recipe, but feel free to use other types of cream soup. I have used cream of chicken soup and it worked great.
- Mushrooms – Feel free to mix in fresh mushrooms if you love mushrooms.
- Cheese – For a cheesier casserole, you can mix in shredded cheese. Choose from mild cheddar or sharp cheddar for added flavor.
- Cracker – For a change of the topping, use crushed crackers. This is a delicious variation than use the French Fried Onions.
- Onions – If you love onions, diced up some fresh onions for added flavor.
- Chicken Broth – To deepen the flavor, use chicken broth to cook the green beans instead of water.
- Bacon – Add in bacon to the creamy mixture for delicious flavor. Everything taste better with bacon.
What to Serve with Green Bean Casserole:
Green Bean Casserole is a staple holiday side dish. I will occasionally will make it throughout the year, but it is always on our holiday menu.
- Roasted Turkey – Make this easy roasted turkey for your holiday dinner. It is easy to make and full of flavor.
- Sweet Potato Casserole – The sweet and creamy potatoes are cooked to perfection and layered in a baking dish. Topped with chopped pecans with the brown sugar topping makes it a crowd favorite.
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – Our Christmas dinner usually consist of roasted turkey and a honey glazed ham. But this year we decided to mix things up with this Delicious Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf. The meatloaf comes out so moist and cooks perfectly with easy ingredients.
- Easy Crock Pot Ham Recipe. Cooking ham in the crock pot is a great way to free up your oven space in the crock pot. Plus you will love how amazing it taste.
How to Transport Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole:
If your holiday dinner is at grandma’s house this year but you are making instant pot green bean casserole, transport it in a baking dish.
This simple ingredient casserole will still be delicious. Once you arrive, top with the french fried onions and bake for a few minutes to get the tops extra crispy.
How to Store:
Green Bean Casserole is best stored in the fridge in an air tight container. It will stay good for up to 3 to 4 days.
How to Freeze Green Bean Casserole:
If you have made to much green bean casserole, place in the freezer so you can enjoy again.
- Cool Green Bean Casserole to Room Temperature.
- Place the casserole in a freezer safe container that has an air tight lid.
- Store in the freezer and it will last up to 6 months in the freezer.
- When ready to serve, allow the casserole to thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Then reheat in a baking dish or in the microwave depending on how much you are reheating.
Yes, you can use canned green beans in this recipe. Use 3 cans of green beans and skip the cooking step. Simply place in the instant pot with the creamy mixture and heat.
Yes, we prefer fresh or frozen green beans when making this casserole.
We recommend using a 6 quart instant pot to make this recipe.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole:
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
- 24 oz Frozen Green Beans or fresh trimmed
- 1/2 cup Water or broth
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup 10 oz each
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 can French Fried Onions 6 oz
- Place the water in the bottom of a 6 quart instant pot. Then add the fresh green beans.
- Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. After the cooking time, do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper.
- After the green beans have cooked, switch the instant pot to the sauté setting with the lid off.
- Stir in the cream of mushroom mixture. Heat on the sauté setting for 3-4 minutes to heat the mixture through and combine the ingredients.
- Then stir in half of the French fried onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the instant pot off and let the mixture sit for 3-5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Finally, top the casserole with the remaining French fried onion right before serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Christmas Side Dishes:
- Instant Pot Green Beans and Bacon Recipe
- Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- Cornbread Stuffing Recipe