This 5 Ingredient Hot Chocolate Popcorn is the perfect sweet and salty treat. The marshmallows and popcorn are a delicious combination.
Get my Christmas Cookbook Bundle 75%
What is Hot Chocolate Popcorn?
Melted white chocolate coats popcorn and then tossed in hot chocolate mix and topped with marshmallows. It is the perfect snack to make for the holidays or wrapped up as a gift.
You only need 5 simple ingredients to create this delicious Hot Chocolate Popcorn.
- Popped Popcorn
- White Candy Melts
- Hot Chocolate Mix (the powder)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Chips
How to Make Hot Chocolate Popcorn:
- Step 1 – Place the popped popcorn in a large mixing bowl.
- Step 2 – Put the white candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the candy melts are fully melted.
Step 3 – Drizzle the melted candy over the popcorn in the bowl and gently stir to coat the popcorn with the chocolate.
Step 4 – Spread the popcorn out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Immediately sprinkle the hot chocolate mix over the popcorn.
Step 5 – Then gently toss in the marshmallows.
Step 6 – Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20 seconds intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted. Drizzle over the popcorn and marshmallows.
- Step 8 – Let the marshmallows and chocolate popcorn set until the chocolate is set.
- Step 9 – Break into pieces, serve and enjoy.
Recipe Tips for Hot Chocolate Popcorn Recipe:
- Melt Chocolate – Melt the chocolate in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Make sure to stir after heating to thoroughly melt chocolate.
- Toss to Coat – When you have melted the chocolate, pour over the popcorn in the bowl. Toss to coat the popcorn until completely coated.
- Line Baking Sheet – Line the baking sheet with baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Rest Popcorn – Popcorn needs to completely set before being stored. It will be sticky and hard to manage if you try to do this too soon.
- Hot Chocolate Powder – Once you have poured the coated popcorn with the melted chocolate, place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the hot cocoa mix immediately over the popcorn to make sure it sticks.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Change the Chocolate – You can easily change the chocolate in this recipe. You can use dark chocolate or melt ¼ cup of dark and milk chocolate together.
- Sprinkles – Add fun colors to your popcorn and mix in red and green sprinkles after drizzling over the top of the popcorn.
- Nuts – You can even add nuts to the mixture for an extra layer of crunch.
- Candy Melts – For a fun twist to this popcorn, melt red and green candy melts and drizzle over the top.
- Peppermint Candy – Top the Hot Chocolate Popcorn with crushed peppermint candy or red heart candy.
How to Store:
Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The perfect snack to make a big batch for the week. You can also place in zip lock bags once the popcorn has cooled.
How Long will it Last:
Stored properly, this popcorn can last up to a week. Ours never lasts that long though. We eat it pretty fast because it is amazing.
Why we Love this Recipe:
- Easy Sweet and Salty Snack – Plain popcorn is easy snack to prepare for movie night or decorating the Christmas Tree. Adding the marshmallows to the mixture takes a simple popcorn snack to the next level.
- Simple to Prepare – The ingredients are simple and can easily be prepared at home. This snack taste like a gourmet popcorn without the high price tag.
- Holiday Gift – Perfect for gift giving or just to have around. During the holiday we like to have these snacks available. It really puts us in that holiday spirit.
Print Recipe for Hot Chocolate Popcorn:
Hot Chocolate Popcorn
- 16 cups Popped Popcorn
- 12 ounces White Candy Melts
- 1/2 cup Hot Chocolate Mix the powder
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- Place the popped popcorn in a large mixing bowl.
- Put the white candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the candy melts are fully melted.
- Drizzle the melted candy over the popcorn in the bowl and gently stir to coat the popcorn with the chocolate.
- Spread the popcorn out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chocolate mix over the popcorn.
- Then gently toss in the marshmallows.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20 seconds intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted.
- Drizzle on top of the popcorn.
- Let the popcorn set until the chocolate is set.
- Break into pieces, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe