Homemade Butterscotch Pie is just what you need to make this holiday. It is loaded with flavor and made with simple ingredients.
Easy Butterscotch Pie Recipe:
Make this butterscotch pie filling for a delicious holiday pie. This homemade pie is rich, decadent and easy to make. We make all the classic pies for our holiday dinners and this is one of our favorites.
This creamy pie is made with pantry ingredients. Then topped with a whipped cream topping. Everyone will love the butterscotch flavor and they will be asking for the recipe.
If you love the butterscotch candies that was always at Grandma’s house, then you are going to love this pie. Add the filling to a a pre-baked pie shell or get one at the store. You will be amazed with the creamy texture and amazing taste.
How to Make Homemade Pie Crust Recipe:
We made this pie with a unbaked pie crust. But you can easily make one at home. This 3 Ingredient Pie Crust is flaky, delicious and easy to make.
Making a pie crust at home may seem hard, but with this easy recipe you will be making with no problems.
The next time you are making a homemade pie, try making the crust at home too.
- 9-inch Pie Crust (unbaked)
- Evaporated Milk (12 ounces)
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Large Egg Yolks
- Vanilla Extract
- Butterscotch Syrup (for serving)
- Whipped Cream (for serving)
How to Make Butterscotch Pie:
- Step 1 – Bake Pie Crust – Bake the pie crust in a 9 inch pie dish based on the package instructions. Let it cool completely at room temperature.
- Step 2 – Cook Stirring Constantly – In a large pot, stir together the milk, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Then add the egg yolks, vanilla extract and salt together. Heat over medium high heat, whisking constantly,
- Step 3 – Add Butter – Add in the butter to sugar mixture and heat for 5-7 minutes. Heat until the butter melts and the mixture thickens. Stir constantly.
- Step 4 – Remove from Heat – Then remove the mixture from the heat. Pour into the cooled flaky pie crust.
- Step 5 – Cool Pie – Let the pie cool to room temperature. Then chill covered for 6 hours or overnight.
- Step 6 – Top with Cool Whip – When serving, top with the whipped cream and drizzle the butterscotch syrup on top.
- Step 7 – Serve – Slice, serve and enjoy.
How To Fix Runny Pie:
After preparing you pie and it is runny, then these are some ways to fix it. There is nothing more frustrating then a runny pie after working so hard on it. Hopefully these tips will help.
- Continue Cooking – In this pie recipe, the ingredients are heated in a large pot until thicken. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until it thickens. It may take longer than what the recipe indicates. So continue heating until the mixture thickens.
- Cornstarch – Do not skip this ingredient. Cornstarch is used as a thickening agent. So it is a must to make sure you do not end up with a runny filling.
- Let Pie Set – After pouring the mixture into the pie crust, make sure you allow the pie to set. We like to prepare this pie ahead of time to ensure that we give it at least 6 hours to rest.
- Pie Crust – We made this pie with a unbaked pie crust. We recommend baking the pie crust according to the instructions on the box. The butterscotch pie filling heats over medium heat in a saucepan and does not require baking.
- Combining Ingredients – When heating the ingredients together over medium-low heat in the sauce pan, make sure to stir constantly. This ensure that everything is mixed together before pouring into the baked pie crust.
- Heat Mixture – Before removing the sauce pan from the heat, make sure the mixture has thicken. It may take longer than what the recipe indicates.
- Rest Pie – Make sure to allow the pie to rest at least 6 hours before serving.
- Top of the Pie – There are many ways to top this pie. Just like a pecan pie or a pumpkin pie, cool whip is always my first choice. But you can also top with a Meringue. Make a meringue in a medium bowl with egg whites. You can also make a Homemade whipped topping with heavy cream.
- Pie Crust – Feel free to make this pie with different types of pie crust. You can make a graham cracker crust with graham crackers. Another option would be a spiced biscoff cookie crust. All would be delicious for a Thanksgiving pie.
- Add Extra Topping – Try adding chopped nuts and crumbled cookies to the top of the pie. It is not necessary but adds another yummy flavor. We even like to add a caramel sauce to the top.
What does Butterscotch Pie Taste Like?
If you love caramel and toffee flavors, then you are going to love the taste of this Butterscotch pie. I love the warm flavors from the dark brown sugar.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers for up to 3-4 days. We suggest waiting to add the whipped cream until ready to serve.
However, if you have already topped the pie with it. Place a few toothpicks in it so the plastic wrap does not stick.
Easy Holiday Pie Recipe:
This pie is one of our favorites to make for the holidays. We enjoy pies throughout the year, but this is one that I save for the holidays. The warm spices and delicious butterscotch makes me think of my grandma.
If you are looking for an easy, classic pie to prepare this holiday. This is the one to make.
Print Recipe here for Butterscotch Pie:
- 1 9 inch Pie Crust unbaked
- 1 can Evaporated Milk 12 ounces
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 3 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Butterscotch Syrup for serving
- Whipped Cream for serving
- Bake the pie crust in a 9 inch pan based on the package instructions. Let it cool completely at room temperature.
- In a large pot, stir together the milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla extract and salt together. Heat over medium high heat, whisking constantly,
- Add in the butter and heat for 5-7 minutes until the butter melts and the mixture thickens. Stir constantly.
- Then remove the mixture from the heat. Pour into the cooled pie crust.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature and then chill covered for 6 hours or overnight.
- When serving, top with the whipped cream and drizzle the butterscotch syrup on top.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe