If you are looking for a delicious appetizer to serve this Christmas, make Bacon Jam. This sweet and savory jam is perfect served with crackers or grilled cheese sandwiches.
Bacon Jam Recipe:
This bacon jam recipe is delicious and easy to make. Cooked bacon is mixed with sweet onions, vinegars, and brown sugar for amazing taste. If you love to serve a sweet and savory flavor spread, make this Bacon Jam.
The ingredients simmer in a large skillet to create a delicious jam. The consistency of the jam makes it perfect spread on crackers and toast. This recipe is always a crowd favorite and perfect served as your next appetizer.
There are many ways to serve this delicious jam. We love the amazing flavors and love to serve on our charcuterie board during the holidays. If you are looking for a crowd pleasing appetizer, make this simple ingredient bacon jam.
What is Bacon Jam?
This bacon jam recipe, also known as, bacon marmalade is a popular condiment and appetizer. It can be served in many different ways. We love to serve on crackers with cream cheese or as a spread on our burgers.
You can even place it on your grilled cheese sandwich as a sweet and savory spread. The jam is cooked over medium heat to create a delicious jam. You will love the flavors and the simple ingredients.
- Thick Cut bacon (chopped)
- Sweet Onions (diced into small pieces)
- Sherry Vinegar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
How to Make Bacon Jam:
- Step 1 – Add Bacon – Heat the bacon in a large frying pan over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes. Cook until the bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy.
- Step 2 – Move Bacon – Use a slotted spoon to move the bacon from the pan to a plate. Make sure it is lined with a paper towel.
- Step 3 – Remove Bacon Fat – Remove all the bacon grease from the pan except for approximately 1 tablespoon.
- Step 4 – Add Onions – Add the diced onions to the pan with the bacon grease.
- Step 5 – Cook Onions – Sauté for approximately 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Feel free to season with salt and pepper.
- Step 6 – Add other ingredients – Mix the bacon back into the pan. Then stir in the sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, onions, brown sugar and water.
- Step 7 – Bring to Boil – Bring the mixture to a low boil. Then cook for 10-15 minutes until the mixture is thick and dark.
- Step 8 – Cool Mixture Remove from heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Then the jam is ready to serve and enjoy!
How to Use Bacon Jam:
This Bacon Jam is a great addition to your charcuterie board or served as a holiday appetizer. Place in a bowl and everyone will love the sweet and savory depth of flavor.
These are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this delicious jam.
- Top with Bake Brie and Crackers
- Add Dried Figs, Rosemary, and Baby Argula
- Spread on your Favorite Burgers
- Spread on a Grilled Cheese or a Turkey Sandwich
- Give as a Gift to Neighbors, Teachers and Friends
Bacon Onion Jam Recipe Tips:
- Cook Bacon – Cook the chopped bacon in a large skillet until it is crispy. Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel and reserve some grease. This gives the other ingredients delicious flavor to cook in the grease.
- Combining Ingredients – After adding in the other ingredients. Allow them to simmer at a low boil. This helps to thicken the mixture to create a delicious jam.
- Cool Completely – After removing the pan from skillet allow the mixture to cool before serving. This helps to thicken to the right consistency.
- Serving – This mixture is ready to serve after it has cooled. Store in the fridge in mason jars when not serving.
- Bacon – We like using a thicker bacon in this recipe. But you can use what you prefer.
- Onions – We like using a sweet onions in this recipe. We prefer a large yellow onion, but you can use different types of onions.
- Coffee – Some recipes call for coffee to added. If you love the coffee flavor, feel free to add some in to the medium saucepan.
- Seasoning – Feel free to add in seasoning for added flavor. You can add in chili powder, black pepper, cloves garlic, or cayenne pepper.
- Food Processor – If you prefer a thinner consistency, blend the ingredients in a food processor.
- Maple Syrup – Instead of using brown sugar, you can substitute with maple syrup.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat before serving the leftovers. We love to store in glass jars especially when we are giving out as gifts.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Bacon Jam will last about 2 weeks if stored properly. It is best stored in the fridge in jars.
If you prefer you can use apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic vinegar. Start with a teaspoon and taste to make sure you like the flavor.
We have served it warm, room temperature and straight from the fridge. It is all the way you prefer it.
Print Recipe for Bacon Jam:
- 12 ounces Thick Cut bacon chopped
- 2 Sweet Onions diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- Heat the bacon in a large frying pan over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes until the bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to move the bacon from the pan to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Remove all the bacon grease from the pan except for approximately 1 tablespoon.
- Add the diced onions to the pan with the bacon grease.
- Sauté for approximately 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Mix the bacon back into the pan and stir in the sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until the mixture is thick and dark.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Then the jam is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe