If you need a fun and festive appetizer, make this Christmas Tree Cheese Ball. It is the perfect Christmas Party appetizer and is easy to make.
Get my Christmas Cookbook Bundle 75%
Easy Christmas Tree Cheese Ball:
Christmas Tree Cheeseball is a delicious and easy appetizer that is perfect for all your holiday gatherings. This cheese ball is fun and festive because of the tree shape.
December is a busy time with all the holiday parties. That is why I always have the simple ingredient cheese ball to take. This cheese ball can be garnished and many different ways and served with crackers.
We love a good cheese ball recipe. Shaping it into a tree and adding the fun red and green ingredients always make it a hit. If you are looking for an easy appetizer this holiday, make this Christmas Tree Cheese Ball.
What is the Best Cheese to use?
The best cheese to use for any cheese ball is cream cheese. You can easily choose from low fat or full fat. I would not recommend using the spreadable cream cheese as it will not hold up well.
For best results, make sure you have set out your cream cheese for about 30 minutes before mixing. This helps to cream to make a creamy texture and makes it more manageable.
- Cream Cheese (8 ounces each)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Red Pepper Sauce
- Parsley (finely chopped)
- Pine Nuts
- Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- Cheddar Cheese (for the star)
How to Make Christmas Tree Cheese Ball:
- Step 1 – Mix cream cheese with seasoning – Mix together the cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Combine with a hand held mixer until combined and smooth.
- Step 2 – Add Cheese – Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix everything together in a large bowl.
- Step 3 – Refrigerate – Cover and refrigerate for a few hours until the cheese is form enough to shape.
- Step 4 – Form into a Tree – Remove the cheese mixture from the refrigerator and wrap in plastic wrap. Use your hands to form the mixture into a cone shape to look like a Christmas tree. I like to transfer the cheese to the platter I am serving it on.
- Step 5 – Add Parsley – Remove the plastic wrap and press the chopped parsley around the outside of the cheese.
- Step 6 – Add Nuts and pepper – Press the pine nuts and diced red bell pepper into the cheese ball for decorations.
- Step 7 – Top of the Tree – Cut the cheddar cheese in the shape of a star. Then place on top of the cheese ball.
- Step 8 – Ready to Serve – Serve with your favorite dippers and enjoy.
Cheese Ball Christmas Tree Recipe Tips:
- Cream Cheese – Before mixing with other ingredients, make sure cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Shaping the tree – We recommend wrapping cream cheese mixture in plastic wrap prior to shaping into tree. We have also rubbed about a tbsp of olive oil on our hands to help shape.
- Chill Cream Cheese Mixture – After combining the ingredients, make sure to allow the mixture to chill. We recommend for about 2 hours for best results.
Christmas Cheese Ball Variation Ideas:
This delicious Holiday appetizer can be made with many different ingredients. You can even change the shape.
- Green Bell Peppers – Instead of using parsley, substitute with green bell peppers. Press bell pepper pieces around the tree for a fun and festive look. Another option is green onions or pesto.
- Change the Seasoning – You can easily add in or substitute the seasoning for this cheese ball. Mix in black pepper, worcestershire sauce, fresh basil or garlic powder.
- Add More Decorations – You can easily add yellow bell pepper or lemon peel to add more color to the cheese ball. Use pomegranate seeds, grape tomatoes or dried cranberries instead of red bell pepper.
- Nuts – We used pine nuts in this recipe, but you can garnish it with pistachios or slice almonds.
- Cheese – We mixed in cheddar cheese but you can also use sharp cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Just make sure to grate it yourself as pre-shredded cheese has added ingredients.
How Long will Cheese Ball last:
This Christmas tree shaped cheese ball will last about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. This is the great recipe to make ahead of time.
Can you Freeze Christmas Tree Cheese Ball?
Yes, you can and this is perfect to make ahead of time. Just make sure to freeze it before you roll the cheese ball in the topping. Wrap the cheese balls in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag or container.
This will last about 1 month. Once you are ready to enjoy, thaw overnight and then roll it into the topping.
What do you Serve Christmas Tree Cheese Ball?
Cheese ball is a must at all the holiday parties I host. We have even made them for game day gatherings and birthday parties. These are my favorite dippers.
- Pita Chips
- Mini Bagels
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
The Best Christmas Tree Cheese Ball:
This cheese ball appetizer is always a hit at our holiday parties. The ingredients are simple and can be made in a variety of ways. Add your favorite dippers for a crowd pleasing dip.
This cream cheese mixture can be shaped in many different ways. Shape it into a football for a game day treat!
Print Recipe for Christmas Tree Cheese Ball:
Christmas Tree Cheese Ball
- 2 pkgs Cream Cheese 8 ounces each
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3-4 Drops Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup Parsley finely chopped
- ¼ cup Pine Nuts
- ¼ cup Red Bell Pepper diced
- Cheddar Cheese for the star
- Mix together the cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and salt with a hand held mixer until combined and smooth.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours until the cheese is form enough to shape.
- Remove the cheese mixture from the refrigerator and wrap in plastic wrap. Use your hands to form the mixture into a cone shape to look like a Christmas tree.
- Remove the plastic wrap and press the chopped parsley around the outside of the cheese.
- Press the pine nuts and diced red bell pepper into the sides of the cheese ball for decorations.
- Cut the cheddar cheese in the shape of a star and place on top of the cheese ball.
- Serve with your favorite dippers and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe