Grinch Cake Balls is the perfect way to celebrate the holidays. This cake balls recipe starts with a cake mix and transforms into the perfect holiday treat.
Easy Grinch Cake Balls Recipe:
We love making fun grinch themed desserts. We have made grinch cake pops, grinch oreo balls, and grinch truffles. The fun red and green color really makes the perfect grinch treat.
This recipe is so easy to make as it starts with a boxed cake mix. We used red velvet cake mix, but any flavor will work. Use a candy coating such as green candy melts to create the best holiday dessert.
If you are looking for a fun and festive Christmas cake pop, make Grinch Cake Balls. Serve them for your Christmas party or while you are decorating the Christmas tree.
Check out this fun and festive Ugly Sweater Cake Recipe.
- Red Velvet cake mix and ingredients called for on box
- Cream Cheese frosting
- White Almond Bark
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Red Heart Sprinkles
How to Make Grinch Cake Balls:
- Step 1 – Make Cake – Make cake and bake according to box instructions.
- Step 2 – Crumble Cake – Crumble up your cake into a large bowl.
- Step 3 – Mix in Cream Cheese – Add your cream cheese frosting to your crumbled cake. Then stir everything together till blended.
- Step 4 – Shape into Balls – Shape mixture into about 50 cake balls and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Step 5 – Freeze Cake Balls – Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Step 6 – Melt Almond Bark – Heat the almond bark by microwaving for 1 minute. Stir well. Then continue to heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until the almond bark is completely melted.
- Step 7 – Mix in Food Coloring – Add in the gel green food coloring. Then stir until you have your preferred color.
- Step 8 – Dip Cake Pop – Stick a toothpick into each cake pop. Then dip them into the melted almond bark covering completely. Shake off excess and return to the lined baking sheet.
- Step 9 – Add Heart Sprinkle – Place a heart sprinkle on each cake ball before the almond bark sets.
- Step 10 – Serve and Enjoy – Let the cake balls sit at room temperature until the almond bark hardens. Then they are ready to serve and enjoy.
Why we Love this Recipe:
- Simple Ingredients – These ingredients are simple. Start with a cake mix and blend with 4 other ingredients.
- Fun and Festive – This is the perfect holiday treat. They are easy to make and always a crowd favorite.
- Variation Cake Pops – You will love that you can use any type of cake and chocolate coating.
- Food Coloring – Make sure to use gel food coloring as liquid food coloring will cause the almond bark to seize.
- Chill Cake Balls – Before dipping the cake balls in the chocolate, make sure you get them really cold. We recommend freezing them on a baking sheet.
- Use a Cookie Scoop – To form the cake into balls, use a cookie scoops. It saves so much time and makes the perfect round ball.
- Dipping Cake Balls – For best results use a toothpick to dip the cake balls into the melted chocolate. It helps to have a smooth texture. You can also use a fork to dip into the chocolate. After dipping remove excess chocolate from grinch ball.
- Microwave Chocolate – When melting the almond bark in a microwave-safe bowl make sure to watch it closely. Heat the chocolate in 30 second intervals.
- Baking Sheet – We recommend lining baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Grinch Cake Balls Variation Ideas:
- Cake – We love using Red Velvet Cake mix to make these cake balls because of the red color. But feel free to use any type of cake mix. We can even make a homemade cake.
- Sprinkles – If you are unable to find red candy hearts, feel free to use just red sprinkles. Use what you prefer as they will still be a tasty treat.
- Melted Chocolate – We used almond bark with green food coloring to get the bright green color. But you can use melted green candy melts. Candy melts come in so many fun colors and is easy to melt.
Can you Freeze Cake Balls?
Yes, you can freeze cake balls. They store great and we like to eat them cold.
- You can flash freeze the cake balls. By putting them on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for about an hour.
- Once they are frozen individually, place in a freezer safe container or freezer bag.
We like to freeze individual cake balls so we can grab as many as we want to serve. This recipe would be great to make ahead of all the holiday rush.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Print Recipe for Grinch Cake Balls:
Grinch Cake Balls
- 1 box red velvet cake mix and ingredients called for on box
- 1 cup cream cheese frosting
- 1 pound white almond bark
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Red Heart Sprinkles
- Make cake and bake according to box instructions.
- Crumble up your cake into a large bowl.
- Add your cream cheese frosting to your crumbled cake and stir everything together till blended.
- Shape mixture into about 50 cake balls and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Heat the almond bark by microwaving for 1 minute. Stir well. Then continue to heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until the almond bark is completely melted.
- Add in the gel green food coloring and stir until you have your preferred color.
- Stick a toothpick into each cake pop and dip them into the melted almond bark covering completely. Shake off excess and return to the baking sheet.
- Place a heart sprinkle on each cake ball before the almond bark sets.
- Let the cake balls sit at room temperature until the almond bark hardens. Then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe