These Candy Cane Cookies are a fun and festive cookie to make this holiday season. Simple ingredients makes this cookies easy to make.
Get my Christmas Cookbook Bundle 75%
Easy Candy Cane Cookies Recipe:
We love making classic sugar cookies for the holidays. But these sugar cookies made into a candy cane makes this the best holiday cookies. The red dough is twisted with the white dough to create the perfect candy cane cookie.
Adding in the peppermint extract gives it the best flavor. I am sure your family and friends will be so impressed with these delicious cookies. These cookies are perfect for your holiday cookie tray and more.
Why We Love This Recipe:
- Pantry Ingredients – This recipe is made with simple ingredients. All you may need to pickup is the peppermint extract.
- Easy to Make – The wet ingredients combine easily with the flour in a mixing bowl to create the best dough. Add in the red food coloring when separating the dough to give it the best red color.
- Perfect Holiday Cookie – These light and fluffy peppermint flavor cookies are great for the holidays. But you can easily make them year round.
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Peppermint Extract
- Baking Powder
- Large Egg
- All Purpose Flour
- Red Gel Food Coloring
- Sparkling Sugar
How to Make Candy Cane Cookies:
Step 1 – Beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, peppermint, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add in egg and gradually mix in flour.
Step 2 – Remove half of the dough from the bowl. Dye the remaining dough in the bowl red and chill dough.
Step 3 – Pinch off 1 inch round pieces of each of the dough. Then roll them into an approximately 5 inch long rope.
Step 4 – Then place a red rope next to a plain rope and get twist them together.
Step 5 – Place the cookies on a baking sheet and gently curve the top half of the dough. Sprinkle with sugar.
Step 6 – Bake Cookies then cool on a cooling rack. Bake time may vary.
Candy Cane Sugar Cookies Recipe Tips:
- Combining the ingredients – Combine the ingredients until everything is mixed together. Make sure to scrape the side of the bowl when mixing ingredients.
- Chill Dough – Make sure to give time for your dough to chill before shaping into candy canes. This would be the perfect cookie to make ahead of time.
- Shaping Dough – Try to make the ropes about the same size to create the perfect candy cane shape. Place the ropes side by side to help with lengths.
- Cool Completely – Cool the cookies on wire racks before storing in air safe container.
- Line Baking Sheet – Before baking cookies, place parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Toppings – Instead of topping cookies with sugar you can top with crushed candy canes or crushed peppermint candies.
- Almond Extract – Feel free to use almond extract instead of peppermint extract.
Can I Freeze Candy Cane Cookies?
Yes, you can place your leftovers cookies in the freezer. Make sure to store in a freezer safe container. You can also freeze the dough as well. Store in a freezer bag and let thaw when ready to use.
If stored properly, you cookie dough and cookies will last about 3 months.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store the leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week. We like to keep at room temperature, but you can place in the fridge. Place a piece of bread in the container with the cookies to keep them soft.
More Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes:
Print Recipe for Candy Cane Cookies:
Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- Red Gel Food Coloring
- Sparkling Sugar
- Beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add in the egg and mix until well combined.
- Reduce the speed on the mixer down to low and then gradually add in the flour and mix until just combined (no more dry streaks).
- Remove half of the dough from the bowl. Dye the remaining dough in the bowl red.
- Wrap each of the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the cookies by pinching off approximately 1 inch round pieces of each of the dough and roll them into an approximately 5 inch long rope.
- Then place a red rope next to a plain rope and get twist them together.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and gently curve the top half of the dough to make the cookies into a candy cane shape.
- Continue this process until all the cookies are formed and placed on the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle the sparkling sugar on top of the cookies and gently press them down so that they stick to the cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges of the cookies start to brown slightly.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then move them to a wire rack to cool completely
- Then the cookies are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe