We love making this Cornbread Sausage Stuffing as one of our side dishes for Christmas dinner. It is delicious and savory and easy to make.
Homemade Cornbread Sausage Stuffing Recipe:
Cornbread dressing with sausage is one of those classic that we make for the holidays. It is the perfect Thanksgiving recipe or Christmas dinner recipe that we serve year after year.
The rich and savory flavors makes this a family favorite. The sausage is cooked and mixed with simple vegetables and seasoning. This cornbread is then added and the egg mixture to coat all the ingredients.
The stuffing is then baked with a crispy texture and a soft center. Take your stuffing to the next level by adding sausage. This is the ultimate sausage cornbread stuffing.
- Cornbread Mix
- Ingredients to make CornBread based on the package instructions
- Ground Sausage
- Onion diced
- Celery diced
- Minced Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Rosemary, diced
- Chicken Broth
How to Make Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage:
- Step 1 – Make Cornbread – Prepare the cornbread based on the package instructions.
- Step 2 – Cut Cornbread – When is is baked and cooled, Cut it into 1 inch pieces. Then allow it to sit out overnight for it to dry out.
- Step 3 – Heat Oven and prepare baking pan – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 4 – Cook Sausage – Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat. Remove the sausage from the skillet to a large bowl.
- Step 5 – Cook Vegetables – Next, add in the butter, onion and celery.
- Step 6 – Continue Cooking – Cook over medium heat until the veggies are tender (approximately 5-6 minutes).
- Step 7 – Add in Seasoning – Stir in the minced garlic, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. Heat for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- Step 8 – Add to Sausage – Then add them to the bowl with the sausage.
- Step 9 – Mix in Cornbread – Add the dried cornbread to the mixing bowl.
- Step 10 – Mix Eggs and Broth – In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and chicken broth.
- Step 11 – Mix egg mixture with Cornbread mixture – Pour this mixture over the cornbread and sausage mixture. Then gently toss until all the ingredients are coated with the egg mixture.
- Step 12 – Pour into baking dish – Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Then bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the top of the stuffing is golden brown.
Should I leave my Cornbread out overnight for dressing?
Yes, we recommend preparing your Cornbread ahead of time. You want the cornbread to be dried out before mixing with the other ingredients. Prepare the cornbread up to 2 days in advance for best results.
What is the Difference between Stuffing and Dressing?
Stuffing is known as the side dish that is stuffed into the Thanksgiving Turkey. It cooks while the Turkey cooks, while soaking up the seasoning that is in the Turkey.
Dressing is cooked outside of the Turkey in a casserole dish. We make dressing in our family, as it has more flavor than your traditional stuffing. We prefer stuffing as you can easily change the seasoning and add in sausage.
It also can depends on where you are from as to what you are used to calling it.
Tips for Sausage Cornbread Stuffing:
- Prepare Cornbread in advance – For the best cornbread stuffing recipe, prepare the cornbread in advance. You want the cornbread to be dried out before mixing with the other ingredients.
- Sausage – Prepare sausage in a large skillet. Drain any excessive grease from the sausage.
- Cooking Vegetables – Cook the celery and onions until they are tender. Then add in the seasoning so the ingredients cooked together.
- Prepare Baking Dish – Make sure to spray pan with cooking spray to prevent stuffing from sticking and for easy cleanup.
- Baking Stuffing – Bake stuffing for about 30 minutes or until the top is lightly toasted.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning. Adding poultry seasoning is a great substitute for this recipe.
- Switch out the Herbs – I used rosemary in this recipe but you can also use fresh spices. We recommend thyme or sage for this recipe.
- Add in other vegetables – Carrots and water chestnuts also go really well in this recipe.
- Use any kind of broth: You can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
- Sausage – You can easily use other types of sausage. We used a mild sausage but you can use an Italian Sausage or Turkey Sausage. I have even crumbled up sausage links or sausage patties for an easy substitute.
- Chopped Apples – Add in chopped apples while cooking the celery onion for added flavor.
- Cranberries – Add in cranberries to make a delicious Cranberries and Sausage Stuffing.
- Mushrooms – If you have fresh slice mushrooms, add them in with the onions and celery. It is a great addition and add so much flavor.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store your leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Place in the refrigerator to serve again with your Turkey and Ham. My family agrees that this stuffing recipe is even better the next day.
Allowing the cooked ingredients to marinate together overnight, it make an even flavorful lunch the next day.
Easy Cornbread Stuffing Recipe:
The sausage cornbread stuffing is a great side dish. It is a classic recipe that we make for the holidays. For Christmas, we usually have the traditional Turkey and Ham. This cornbread stuffing sausage is always delicious leftover with the turkey and ham.
This sausage stuffing has now become a holiday tradition to make. This is the perfect side dish to make ahead of time as it taste even better. It is nice to make side dishes ahead of time as it saves me time.
This sausage stuffing recipes combines ground sausage, cornbread, vegetables and seasoning. This recipe is a must have at your holiday table. It is so flavorful and just a really great recipe. I love stuffing anyway but this new variation with sausage is amazing.
Some may make a dressing recipe and others choose to make a stuffing recipe. We always make our stuffing outside of the turkey. Impress your family this year, and make this easy Cornbread Sausage Stuffing.
Print Recipe here for Cornbread Sausage Stuffing:
Cornbread sausage stuffing
- 16 oz. Cornbread Mix
- *Ingredients to make CornBread based on the package instructions
- 1 lb Ground Sausage
- 1 Onion diced
- 4 stalks of Celery diced
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary diced
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- Prepare the cornbread based on the package instructions.
- When is is baked and cooled, Cut it into 1 inch pieces and allow it to sit out overnight for it to dry out.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat. Remove the sausage from the skillet to a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add in the butter, onion and celery.
- Cook over medium heat until the veggies are tender (approximately 5-6 minutes).
- Stir in the minced garlic, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. Heat for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- Then add them to the bowl with the sausage.
- Add the dried cornbread to the mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and chicken broth.
- Pour this mixture over the cornbread and sausage mixture and gently toss until all the ingredients are coated with the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top of the stuffing is golden brown.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Holiday Side Dishes:
- Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
- Olive Garden Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe